WHO IS MADDY VARNER?
My name is Maddy Varner. I have a BFA in Studio Art from Carnegie Mellon University. I am a researcher. I scrape data, code browser extensions, and make interactive websites. My artistic interests are currently around the construction of objectivity, scams, automated inequity, and institutions in disrepair.
What is Art?
Frankly, my Cargo Collective is doing a much better job documenting work at the moment.
- Pizza Seance
- Blingee Heist
- Poopchat Pro
- Kardashian Krypt
- Paintings (various)
- Is It Too Late To Say I'm Sorry?
- Data Porridge
- Endless Fantasy
- Small Grains into Cohabitating Mush
What is Writing?
Here are some things I have helped write:
- What does Facebook consider hate speech? By Madeleine Varner, Ariana Tobin, Julia Angwin and Jeff Larson, December 28, 2017
- Facebook’s Uneven Enforcement of Hate Speech Rules Allows Vile Posts to Stay Up by Ariana Tobin, Madeleine Varner and Julia Angwin Dec. 28, 2017
- These Are the Job Ads You Can’t See on Facebook If You’re Older by Jeff Larson, Madeleine Varner, Ariana Tobin and Julia Angwin, ProPublica, and Noam Scheiber, The New York Times, December 19, 2017
- Facebook (Still) Letting Housing Advertisers Exclude Users by Race by Julia Angwin, Ariana Tobin and Madeleine Varner Nov. 21, 2017
- Facebook Enabled Advertisers to Reach ‘Jew Haters’ by Julia Angwin, Madeleine Varner and Ariana Tobin Sept. 14, 2017
- Despite Disavowals, Leading Tech Companies Help Extremist Sites Monetize Hate by Julia Angwin, Jeff Larson, Madeleine Varner, and Lauren Kirchner Aug. 19, 2017
- How We Investigated Technology Companies Supporting Hate Sites by Jeff Larson and Madeleine Varner, Aug. 19, 2017
What is Communication?
My personal email is maddyvarner [at] gmail [dot] com. My twitter handle is @tenuous. Thank you for your time.